I have a different view on the assessments in this thread, having built
OpenBLAS manually a number of times on different platforms now.

Those shared objects packed in the wheel, including libgfortran and
libquadmath, are proper runtime dependencies for the OpenBLAS library we
ship with wheels, not artifacts of an old ATLAS dependency structure.
Another way to achieve compliance with the wheels standard is to statically
link them in when we build OpenBLAS on macpython / manually. This seems to
be relatively doable on some platforms, and harder on others.

There is a demonstration for Mac OS + NumPy available:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13191

On Linux, it is much harder, we would need a custom build of gcc from
source with -fPIC compiler flag used to build libgfortran.a. The Julia
language also faced this challenge on static links:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/326#issuecomment-191781005

I'm not saying we should jump on static linking of the GCC runtime into
OpenBLAS right away, but removing those shared objects from the wheels
without a linking change doesn't seem quite right unless I'm missing
something major. If we do eventually embrace the static link of the GCC
runtime into the OpenBLAS wheels, this also makes our daily CI
infrastructure less complex because we don't get pinned to specific runtime
library versions of libgfortran / libquadmath & could likely just remove
the gfortran-install submodule from our wheels workflow as well.

But we don't get that gain for nothing--we do transfer some non-trivial
burden to "upstream" builds of OpenBLAS & things do mostly tend to work the
way they are now. The PEPs surrounding the wheel ecosystem also contain
some cautions about the complexities of trying to static link with default
OS lib availabilities.

Best wishes,
Tyler