On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 4:16 PM Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:04 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gomm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  Vendoring means "include the code". So no dependency on an external
> package. If we don't vendor, it's going to be either unused, or end up as a
> dependency for the whole SciPy/PyData stack.
>
> If we vendor it then it also ends up as a dependency for the whole
> SciPy/PyData stack...

It seems you're just using an unusual definition here. Dependency == a
package you have to install, is present in pyproject.toml/install_requires,
shows up in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/network/dependencies, etc.

> > Actually, now that we've discussed the fft issue, I'd suggest to change
> the NEP to: vendor, and make default for fft, random, and linalg.
>
> There's no way we can have an effective discussion of duck arrays, fft
> backends, random backends, and linalg backends all at once in a single
> thread.
>
> Can you write separate NEPs for each of these? Some questions I'd like
> to see addressed:
>
> For fft:
> - fft is an entirely self-contained operation, with no interactions
> with the rest of the system; the only difference between
> implementations is speed. What problems are caused by monkeypatching,

It was already explained in this thread, it's been on our roadmap for ~2
years at least, and monkeypatching is pretty much universally understood to
be bad. If that's not enough, please search the NumPy issues for
"monkeypatching". You'll find issues like
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12374#issuecomment-438725645. At the
moment this is very confusing, and hard to diagnose - you have to install a
whole new NumPy and then find that the problem is gone (or not). Being able
to switch backends in one line of code and re-test would be very valuable.

It seems perhaps more useful to have a call so we can communicate with
higher bandwidth, rather than lots of writing new NEPs here? In
preparation, we need to write up in more detail how __array_function__ and
unumpy fit together, rather than treat different pieces all separately
(because the problems and pros/cons really won't change much between
functions and submodules). I'll defer answering your other questions till
that's done, so the discussion is hopefully a bit more structured.

Cheers,
Ralf

and how is uarray materially different from monkeypatching?