On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:32 AM Sebastian Berg <sebast...@sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/15925 I propose to deprecate
> promotion of strings and numbers. I have to double check whether this
> has a large effect on pandas, but it currently seems to me that it will
> be reasonable.

Sebastian -- thanks for driving this forward!

Pandas and Xarray already override these casting rules, so I think this is
generally a good idea:
https://github.com/pydata/xarray/blob/3820fb77256682d909c1e41d962e29bec0edd62d/xarray/core/dtypes.py#L34-L42

Note that Xarray also overrides np.promote_types(np.bytes_, np.unicode_) to
object.

This means that `np.promote_types("S", "int8")`, etc. will lead to an
> error instead of returning `"S4"`.  For the user, I believe the two
> main visible changes are that:
>
>     np.array(["string", 0])
>
> will stop creating a string array and return either an `object` array
> or give an error (object array would be the default currently).

In the long term, I guess this would error as part of the plan to require
explicitly writing dtype=object to get object arrays?

> Another larger visible change will be code such as:
>
>     np.concatenate([np.array(["string"]), np.array([2])])
>
> will result in an error instead of returning a string array. (Users
> will have to cast manually here.)

I agree, it is better to raise an error than inadvertently cast to
object dtype. This can make errors appear later in strange ways.

We would need to make this change slowly over several releases, e.g., by
issuing a warning first.