On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Mark Harfouche <mark.harfou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know it seems silly, but would an amendment to NEP29 be reasonable?
>
> Many downstream packages look to numpy to understand what versions should
> be supported and NEP29 gave some good guidance.
> That said, if it is worth ignoring, or revisiting, some clarity on how to
> apply NEP29 given recent development would be appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
> Do you think the proposal is not in compliance? There is no requirement
that we drop anything more than 42 months old, it is just recommended. The
change in the Python release cycle has created some difficulty. With the
yearly cycle, 4 python yearly releases will cover 3-4 years, which seems
reasonable and we can probably drop to 3 releases towards the end, but with
3.7 coming 18 months after 3.6, four releases is on the long side, and
three releases on the short side, so keeping 3.6 is the conservative
choice. Once the yearly cycle sets in I think we will be fine.

Chuck