I thought this might be of interest to Bas and others.

----- Original message -----
From: Matthew Rahtz via Typing-sig
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 02:31

Thanks to everyone for coming! Recording is here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ywE7sHM--9QEZ_LhcALFBVF_nsO601NB/view?usp=sharing>,
 and the slides are at Dealing with DTypes
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/14hHWlpMOuijNEhF7fwvANa8Ainu4R2LtBt3WO3df-ww/edit?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-oLrZPOXcAXvGvNaEOQahJQ>.
 Details of this and previous tensor typing meetings are available here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oaG0V2ZE5BRDjd9N-Tr1N0IKGwZQcraIlZ0N8ayqVg8/edit#>.

Our next tensor typing meeting will tentatively be on *Monday the 13th of
December*. See you then!

A quick summary of the talk is below.
 * How should we handle data type promotion in stubs?
 * Option 1: One overload for each possible combination of dtypes
 * Option 2: One overload for each result dtype
 * Option 3: Don't handle type promotion
 * Option 4: Use a dtype class hierarchy and exploit Union type operator
behaviour
 * Option 5: Propose a type promotion operator
 * Option 6: Propose a 'nearest common parent' operator
 * Option 7: Propose a type lookup table operator
 * Consensus during discussion was that since it looks like a new type operator
*would* be required, we should probably hold off on dealing with this until the
community shows a strong desire for this feature, and in the meantime just not
handle data type promotion in stubs.