On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM <louis.peti...@csi.cuny.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am not an expert in NumPy but my undergraduate student is having some
> issues with the way Numpy returns the normalized eigenvectors corresponding
> to the eigenvalues. We do understand that an eigenvector is divided by the
> norm to get the unit eigenvectors, however we do need the original vectors
> for the purpose of my research. This has been a really frustrated
> experience as NumPy returns the normalized vectors as a default. I
> appreciate any suggestions of how to go about this issue. This seems to be
> a outstanding issue from people using Numpy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the original vectors". All multiples of the
unit eigenvector are eigenvectors. None have a claim on being "the original
vector". Do you have a reference for what you are referring to? It's
possible that there are specific procedures that happen to spit out vectors
that are eigenvectors but have semantics about the magnitude, but
`np.linalg.eig()` does not implement that procedure. The semantics about
the magnitude would be supplied by that specific procedure.

--
Robert Kern