If symmetry w.r.t. pytorch is any guide, it was nice to have it:

In [38]: float(torch.as_tensor([2]))
Out[38]: 2.0

In [39]: float(np.asarray([2]))
Out[39]: 2.0

I guess this boils down to what is a scalar really: is it `scalar.size
== 1` or `scalar.ndim == 0` or something else.
But that's just a digression, nevermind.