> What were your conclusions after experimenting with chained ufuncs?
>
> If the speed is comparable to numexpr, wouldn’t it be `nicer` to have
> non-string input format?
>
> It would feel a bit less like a black-box.

I haven't gotten further than it yet, it is just some toying around I've
been doing.  But I'd indeed prefer not to go via strings -- possibly
numexpr could use a similar mechanism to what I did to construct the
function that is being evaluated.

Aside: your suggestion of the pipe led to some further discussion at
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/25826#issuecomment-1947342581
-- as a more general way of passing arrays to functions.

-- Marten