On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 3:20 PM Amogh Sood <amoghs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I want to thank you all for your contributions and efforts in maintaining
> numpy.
> numpy has been an indispensable tool during both my graduate and
> undergraduate studies.
>
> While I am no software wizard, going forward, I do want to make efforts to
> improve my skills and and also contribute to
> projects that I use regularly and benefit from (in my spare time).
>
> PR Specific Questions:
>
> The docs linked here https://numpy.org/doc/stable/dev/ have been helpful
> in learning how to contribute.
> I have also taken some time to review open issues and attempt my first PR.
> Feedback and criticism are more than welcome.
> I tried following the outlined practices to the best ability.
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/25844
> After submitting the PR, I am looking to remedy the following:
> (i) Github actions `Some checks were not successful 1 cancelled, 3
> skipped, 59 successful, and 1 failing checks` specifically
> `BLAS tests (Linux) / Test Linux (nightly OpenBLAS) (pull_request)` failed.

There are issues with the nightly openblas wheels at the moment, you can
ignore these failures.

> (ii) I see an unverified tag on the commits associated with my PR ? I
> couldn't find the process to remedy this in the docs.

You can ignore this too. If you really want the “verified” bubble you’ll
need to turn on commit signing but that’s not necessary for numpy (and IMO
is mostly security theater).

> General Questions
> a) What other resources are available for newcomers  (if any) ?
> Specifically with respect to mentorship, code review, feedback channels ?

You can join the developer slack chat, see
https://numpy.org/contribute/ for details on how to join.

> b) Are there lists of beginner friend BUG/ENH that are maintained
> somewhere ? (e.g. a good first issue tag?)

There is a “sprintable” tag. Numpy isn’t really a beginner-friendly library
so we don’t want to deceive people by labeling a bug as easy but for an
inexperienced developer would be very hard.