Stefan van der Walt wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:41:52PM -0400, Anne Archibald wrote:
>

>>On 22/03/07, James Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>So, its not really a bug, its a undesired feature...
>>>

>>It is curable, though painful - you can pad the image out, given an
>>estimate of the size of the window. Yes, this sucks.
>>

>I would rather opt for changing the spline fitting algorithm than for
>padding with zeros.

 From what I understand, the splines used in ndimage have the implicit
mirror-symmetric boundary condition which also allows them to be
computed rapidly.  There may be ways to adapt other boundary conditions
and maintain rapid evaluation, but it is not trivial as far as I know.
Standard spline-fitting allows multiple boundary conditions because
matrix inversion is used.  I think the spline-fitting done in ndimage
relies on equal-spacing and mirror-symmetry to allow simple IIR filters
to be used to compute the spline coefficients very rapidly.

This assumption would have to be re-visited for any changes to be made.

-Travis