Hello all,

I just recently updated to the SVN version of numpy to test my code
against it, and found that a small change made to
numpy.get_printoptions (it now returns a dictionary instead of a
list) breaks my code.

Here's the changeset:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/3877

I'm not really looking forward to needing to detect numpy versions
just so I can do the right thing with get_printoptions, but I do
agree that the new version of the function is more sensible. My
question is if there's any particular policy about backwards-
incompatible python api changes, or if I need to be aware of their
possibility at every point release. (Either is fine -- I'm happy for
numpy to be better at the cost of incompatibility, but I'd like to
know if changes like these are the rule or exception.)

Also, in terms of compatibility checking, has anyone written a little
function to check if numpy is within a particular version range?
Specifically, one that handles numpy's built from SVN as well as from
release tarballs.

Thanks,

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine