Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>>>

>> Hi Jarrod,
>>
>>     Would it be possible to merge some of the work I have done recently
>> concerning cleaning configuration and so on (If nobody is against it, of
>> course) ? If this is considerer too big of a change, what is the plan
>> for a 1.1 release, if any ?
>>
> Could you review what the disadvantages are for including your changes
> into the trunk?
>
> Would there be any code breakage?    What is the approximate size
> increase of the resulting NumPy?
>
> I've tried to follow the discussion, but haven't kept up with all of it.
There are been several things. I tried to keep different things
separated for separate merge, and to make the review easier.

cleanconfig branch
==================

For the cleanconfig branch, I tried to be detailed enough in the ticket
where I posted the patch: the goal is to separate the config.h into two
separate headers, one public, one private. The point is to avoid
polluting the C namespace when using numpy (the current config.h define
HAVE_* and SIZEOF_* symbols which are used by autotools). This also
makes it more similar to autoheader, so that if/when my scons work is
integrated, replacing the custom config generators by scons will be
trivial. The patch being actually generated from the branch, it does not
really make sense to apply the patch, just merge the branch (I have also
updated the code since I posted the patch).

http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/593

This is purely internal, this should not change anything to anyone on
any platform, otherwise, it is a bug.

numpy.scons branch
==================

This is a much more massive change. Scons itself adds something like 350
kb to a bzip tarball. There are two milestones already in this branch.
    - The first one just adds some facilities to numpy.distutils, and it
should not break nor change anything: this would enable people to build
ctypes-based extension in a portable way, though.
    - The second milestone: I don't think it would be appropriate to
merge this at this point for a 1.0.x release. Normally, nothing is used
by default (e.g. you have to use a different setup.py to build with the
new method), but it is so easy to screw things up that with such a short
window (a few days), I would prefer avoiding potential breakage.

The first milestone, if merged, consist in all revision up to 4177 (this
one has been tested on many platforms, including Mac OS X intel, Windows
with gnu compilers, linux with gnu compilers, and more obscure
configurations as well; a breakage should be trivial to fix anyway).

cheers,

David