Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:16:06PM -0700, Mathew Yeates wrote:
>> Anybody know of any tricks for handling something like
>
>> z[0]=1.0
>> for i in range(100):
>>     out[i]=func1(z[i])
>>     z[i+1]=func2(out[i])
>
> Something like:
>
> z[0] = 1.
> out = func1(z)
> z[1:] = func2(out[:-1])

No, that doesn't work. The way you have it, for each i>0,

  z[i] = func2(func1(0))

What Matthew wants is this

  z[0] = 1.0
  z[1] = func2(func1(1.0))
  z[2] = func2(func1(func2(func1(1.0))))

I'm afraid that there is no fast, elegant way to do this. If you could turn
func2(func1(x)) into a binary ufunc f(x, y) with an ignored y, then you could
call f.accumulate(z). However, if that ufunc is not implemented in C, there's
not much point.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."