Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 12:27 PM, Robert Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> user-friendly. Another option is to have our Fortran compiler
>> "knowledge-base"
>> separable from the rest of the package. scons could try to import them from,
>> say, numpy_fcompilers first and then look inside numpy.distutils if
>> numpy_fcompilers is not found. That way, a user could download a fresh
>> "knowledge-base" into their source tree (and possibly tweak it) without the
>> burden of installing a new numpy.
>
> Is this something that really needs to be a code package?  Why can't
> this knowledge (or at least the easily overridable part of it) be
> packaged in one or more .conf/.ini plaintext files?  In that way,
> users could easily grab new data files or tweak the builtin ones, and
> at build time say
>
> setup.py install  --compiler_conf=~/my_tweaked.conf
>
> Is that impossible/unreasonable for some reason?

It's not impossible, but there are at least a couple of places where it might be
unreasonable. For example, look at the get_flags_arch() for Intel compilers:

    def get_flags_arch(self):
        v = self.get_version()
        opt = []
        if cpu.has_fdiv_bug():
            opt.append('-fdiv_check')
        if cpu.has_f00f_bug():
            opt.append('-0f_check')
        if cpu.is_PentiumPro() or cpu.is_PentiumII() or cpu.is_PentiumIII():
            opt.extend(['-tpp6'])
        elif cpu.is_PentiumM():
            opt.extend(['-tpp7','-xB'])
        elif cpu.is_Pentium():
            opt.append('-tpp5')
        elif cpu.is_PentiumIV() or cpu.is_Xeon():
            opt.extend(['-tpp7','-xW'])
        if v and v <= '7.1':
            if cpu.has_mmx() and (cpu.is_PentiumII() or cpu.is_PentiumIII()):
                opt.append('-xM')
        elif v and v >= '8.0':
            if cpu.is_PentiumIII():
                opt.append('-xK')
                if cpu.has_sse3():
                    opt.extend(['-xP'])
            elif cpu.is_PentiumIV():
                opt.append('-xW')
                if cpu.has_sse2():
                    opt.append('-xN')
            elif cpu.is_PentiumM():
                opt.extend(['-xB'])
            if (cpu.is_Xeon() or cpu.is_Core2() or cpu.is_Core2Extreme()) and
cpu.getNCPUs()==2:
                opt.extend(['-xT'])
            if cpu.has_sse3() and (cpu.is_PentiumIV() or cpu.is_CoreDuo() or
cpu.is_CoreSolo()):
                opt.extend(['-xP'])

        if cpu.has_sse2():
            opt.append('-arch SSE2')
        elif cpu.has_sse():
            opt.append('-arch SSE')
        return opt

Expressing that without code could be hairy.

That said, using configuration files as override mechanisms for each of the
get_flags_*() methods would be feasible especially if there were a script to
dump the current flag set to the configuration file.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco