On Feb 12, 2008 12:14 AM, Damian Eads <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 22:50 -0700, Damian Eads wrote:
> >> Dear Lou,
> >>
> >> You may want to try using distutils or setuputils, which makes compiling
> >> extensions much easier. It does the hard work of finding out which flags
> >> are needed to compile extensions on the host platform. There are many
> >> examples on the web on how to use distutils to build C extensions
> >> (http://docs.python.org/ext/building.html).
> >
> > Unfortunately, this does not work. Distutils only knows how to build
> > python extensions, not shared libraries. Depending on the platform, this
> > is not the same thing, and mac os X is such a platform where both are
> > not the same.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > David
>
> Really? distutils generates .so files for me, which I assume are shared
> libraries. FYI: I'm running Fedora 8 on an x86. Does distutils not
> generate a shared library on a mac?

Python extension modules are shared libraries, yes. But they must
follow a particular format, namely exposing a correct
"init<modulename>" function. distutils/setuptools only maked Python
extension modules, not arbitrary shared libraries.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco