On 21.02.2008, at 08:41, Francesc Altet wrote:

> Well, it seems like a non-intrusive modification, but I like the
> scalars
> to remain un-indexable, mainly because it would be useful to raise an
> error when you are trying to index them.  In fact, I thought that when
> you want a kind of scalar but indexable, you should use a 0-d array.

I agree. In fact, I'd rather see NumPy scalars move towards Python
scalars rather than towards NumPy arrays in behaviour. In particular,
their nasty habit of coercing everything they are combined with into
arrays is still my #1 source of compatibility problems with porting
code from Numeric to NumPy. I end up converting NumPy scalars to
Python scalars explicitly in lots of places.

Konrad.