Another suggestion from machine learning stuff to throw into the mix:

A soft step function that we use often is y = e^(ax) / ( 1 + e^(ax)).
It has the nice property that the result y is always in (0,1).  If you
invert this, you get x = -(1/a)*log(y - 1); this maps (0,1) to the
whole real line, and the a parameter controls how sharp that mapping
is.  Now use that as the input to a Gaussian, and you can get a soft
truncation at (0,1).

Additionally, you can do this twice to have more control over the
shape of the resulting distribution.  I suspect the resulting
kurtosis/skew factors would be calculable.

This has the advantage of giving you a calculable pdf (just normalize
the resulting distribution using the inverse det-of-Jacobian factor)
without too much hassle.  Furthermore, it should be easy to fit the
parameters to data without too much difficulty (though I haven't
tried).

Just a thought, though I've never worked with all this much so I can't
say for sure how well it would work.

--Hoyt