Wait, I think I see what Alan is saying.  When you use a gaussian
approximation on truncated data, the accuracy of the truncation is
very dependent on where in the interval the mean is.  If it's near the
edges, the results will be worse.  The width of the interval, though,
is a separate factor.

--Hoyt