2008/5/24 Jarrod Millman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Charles R Harris
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Charles R Harris
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The python 2.6 buildbots are showing 5 failures that are being hidden by
>>> valgrind.
>>
>> They seem to have fixed themselves,  they were probably related to the API
>> addition I made, then moved. However, it is a bad thing that the errors were
>> covered up by Valgrind and not reported.
>
> I didn't understand what you meant by this yesterday, but I see what
> you are talking about now:
> http://buildbot.scipy.org/builders/Linux_x86_64_Fedora/builds/486/steps/shell_2/logs/stdio
> http://buildbot.scipy.org/builders/Linux_x86_Fedora_Py2.6/builds/461/steps/shell_2/logs/stdio
>
> You said they fixed themselves, but the failures are in the most
> recent buildbot reports.  This is the only thing I am concerned about
> before branching, so hopefully someone can look at this and let me
> know whether the failures are indeed fixed.

They do not appear on my machine (a pentium-M running Ubuntu). I
should point out that they are only actually three distinct errors,
because one of the test suites is being run twice.They are not exactly
subtle tests; they're checking that seterr induces the raising of
exceptions from np.arange(3)/0, np.sqrt(-np.arange(3)), and
np.array([1.])/np.array([0.]).

The tests pass on the x86_64 machine I have access to (a
multiprocessor Opteron running Knoppix of all things). That is, it
only has python 2.4 (don't ask) so the tests can't be run, but running
the same tests by hand produces the expected results. This particular
feature - seterr - is the sort of thing an overaggressive optimizer
can easily butcher, though, so it could easily be the result of the
particular configuration on the buildbot machine.

I think somebody with access to the buildbot machine needs to see
what's going on. In particular: does a manually-compiled numpy exhibit
the problem? How clean does the buildbot make its environment? Do the
functions behave correctly from an interactive session? Do other
seterr conditions have the same problem?

Anne
P.S. Please ignore the alarming-looking buildbot failure; it is due to
operator headspace. -A