On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Fernando Perez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was trying to reuse your #random checker for ipython but kept
> running into problems.  Is it working for you in numpy in actual code?
>  Because in the entire SVN tree I only see it mentioned here:
>
> maqroll[numpy]> grin #random
> ./numpy/testing/nosetester.py:
>   43 :                     if "#random" in want:
>   67 :         # "#random" directive to allow executing a command
> while ignoring its
>  375 : # try the #random directive on the output line
>  379 :     <BadExample object at 0x084D05AC>  #random: may vary on your system
> maqroll[numpy]>

The second example is a doctest for the feature; for me it fails if
#random is removed, and passes otherwise.

> I'm asking because I suspect it is NOT working for numpy.  The reason
> is some really nasty, silent exception trapping being done by nose.
> In nose's loadTestsFromModule,  which you've overridden to include:

Ah, thanks; I recall seeing a comment somewhere about nose swallowing
exceptions in code under test, but I didn't know it would do things
like that.

> Unfortunately, nose  will  silently swallow *any* exception there,
> simply ignoring your tests and not even telling you what happened.
> Very, very annoying.  You can see if you have an exception by doing
> something like

I added that to my local nosetester.py, but it didn't turn up any
exceptions.  I'll keep it in my working copy so I'm not as likely to
miss some problem in the future.

> Anyway, I mention this because I just wasted a good chunk of time
> fighting this one for ipython, where I need the #random functionality.
>  It seems it's not used in numpy yet, but I imagine it will soon, and
> I figured I'd save you some time.

Thanks :)