On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:53 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> You are supposed to run the tests on an installed numpy, not in the
> sources:
>
> import numpy
> numpy.test(verbose = 10)

Doesn't that make things more cumbersome to test?  That is, if I were
to make a change I would need to:
   - python setup.py build  (to put the code into the build/*
subdirectory)
   - cd the build directory, or switch to a terminal which was
already there
   - manually do the import/test code you wrote, or a write two-line
program for it

I would rather do 'nosetests' in the source tree, if at all feasible,
although that might only be possible for the Python source.

Hmm. And it looks like testing/nosetester.py (which implements the
'test' function above) is meant to make it easier to run nose, except
my feeling is the extra level of wrapping makes things more
complicated.  The nosetest command-line appears to be more flexible,
with support for, for examples, dropping into the debugger on errors,
and reseting the coverage test files.

I'm speaking out of ignorance, btw.

Cheers,

                                Andrew