On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:53, Gael Varoquaux
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:18:48AM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> > What does python -c "import sys; print sys.path" say ?
>
>> A lot! 41 entries, and lot's of eggs -- are eggs an issue? I'm also
>> wondering how the order is determined -- if it looked in site-packages
>> first, it would find numpy a whole lot faster.
>
> AFAIK this is a setuptools issue. From what I hear, it might be fixed in
> the svn version of setuptools, but they still have to make a release that
> has this feature.
>
> The two issues I can see are: import path priority, it should be screwed
> up like it is, and speed. Speed is obviously a hard problem.
>
>> I suspect the thing to do is to re-install from scratch, and only add in
>> packages I'm really using now.
>
> Avoid eggs if you can. This has been my policy. I am not sure how much
> this is just superstition or a real problem, though.

Superstition.

[~]$ python -c "import sys; print len(sys.path)"
269

[~]$ python -v -v -c "import numpy" 2> foo.txt
[~]$ wc -l foo.txt
42500 foo.txt

[~]$ time python -c "import numpy"
python -c "import numpy"  0.18s user 0.46s system 88% cpu 0.716 total

So cut it out.

Chris, please profile your import so we actually have some real
information to work with instead of prejudices.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco