2008/10/7 Stéfan van der Walt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The generalised ufuncs branch was made available before SciPy'08.  We
> solicited comments on its implementation and structuring, but received
> very little feedback.  Unless there are any further comments from the
> community, I propose that we merge it.

Sounds good to me - I've counted at least three or four threads on the
mailing lists wishing for the ufuncized linear algebra this would
allow since it was put forward. (Of course, these won't appear until
someone implements them - perhaps a start would be for someone to
write a tutorial on using the new generalized ufunc code...)

> It is unfortunate that we have so many patches waiting for review
> (SciPy suffers worst, I'm afraid); clearly there are too few hours in
> a day.  Nothing discourages contributions as much as a stale project,
> and I hope we can avoid that.

The problem may perhaps be that not many people feel they are in a
position to actually do the reviews, so that everyone is waiting on an
imagined few "real" developers to place the Official Stamp of
Approval. Perhaps an informal rule of thumb for acceptance of patches?
How about: posted to list, reviewed by someone not the author who's
had at least one patch accepted before, and no objections on the list?
Anything that receives objections can fall through to the usual
decision by discussion on the mailing list, this is just intended for
those patches that everyone just kind of shrugs and says "looks all
right to me".

Anne