On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 15:21, Charles R Harris
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Robert Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 14:49, Charles R Harris
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > I would be happier with that argument if scipy was broken into
>> > separately
>> > downloadable modules and released on a regular schedule.
>>
>> Then that is the deficiency that we should spend time on, not
>> duplicating the functionality again.
>
> Should we break out the linear algebra part of scipy and make it a separate
> package? I suspect that would add to the build burden, because we would then
> have a new package to maintain and release binaries for. I don't see the
> problem with having a bit of linear algebra as part of the numpy base
> package.

Which bits? The current set has worked fine for more than 10 years.
Where do we stop? There will always be someone who wants just one more
function. And a case can always be made that adding just that function
is reasonable.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."