On 05/11/2008, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM, T J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Anne Archibald
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Surely this should be log(exp(a)+exp(b))? That would be extremely
> useful, yes.
> > >

> > +1
> >
> > But shouldn't it be called 'logadd', for adding values which are stored as
> logs?
> >

> Hmm... but I'm thinking one has to be clever here because the main reason I
> heard for using logs was that normal floating point numbers had insufficient
> range. So maybe something like
>
> logadd(a,b) = a + log(1 + exp(b - a))
>
> where a > b ?

That's the usual way to do it, yes. I'd use log1p(exp(b-a)) for a
little extra accuracy, though it probably doesn't matter.  And yes,
using logadd.reduce() is not the most efficient way to get a logsum();
no reason it can't be a separate function. As T J says, a logdot()
would come in handy too. A python implementation is a decent first
pass, but logdot() in particular would benefit from a C
implementation.

Anne