On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:16 AM, David Cournapeau
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And you have no site.cfg at all ?

Wow. I was too focused on the current directory and didn't realize I
had an old site.cfg in ~/.

Two points:

1) Others (myself included) might catch such silliness sooner if the
location of the cfg file were printed to screen during setup.py.  As
of now, I get:

Running from numpy source directory.
non-existing path in 'numpy/distutils': 'site.cfg'
F2PY Version 2_5986

2) The current system_info.py says:

"""
The file 'site.cfg' is looked for in

1) Directory of main setup.py file being run.
2) Home directory of user running the setup.py file as ~/.numpy-site.cfg
3) System wide directory (location of this file...)
"""

Doesn't this mean that it should *not* have picked up my ~/site.cfg?

Anyway, I can now report that ATLAS is detected without defining any
environment variables.  Thanks for all the help!