FYI,
I can't reproduce David's failures on my machine (intel core2 duo w/
10.5.5)
* python 2.6 from macports
* numpy svn 6098
* GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5488)

I have only 1 failure:
FAIL: test_umath.TestComplexFunctions.test_against_cmath
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nose-0.10.4-py2.6.egg/
nose/case.py", line 182, in runTest
     self.test(*self.arg)
   File "/Users/pierregm/Computing/.pythonenvs/default26/lib/python2.6/
site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_umath.py", line 423, in
test_against_cmath
     assert abs(a - b) < atol, "%s %s: %s; cmath: %s"%(fname,p,a,b)
AssertionError: arcsin 2: (1.57079632679-1.31695789692j); cmath:
(1.57079632679+1.31695789692j)

(Well, there's another one in numpy.ma.min, but that's a different
matter).