float128 are 16 bytes wide but have the structure of x87 80-bits + extra 6
bytes for alignment:
>From "http://lwn.net/2001/features/OLS/pdf/pdf/x86-64.pdf":
"... The x87 stack with 80-bit precision is only used for long double."

And:

>>> e47 = float128(1e-47)
>>> e30 = float128(1e-30)
>>> e50 = float128(1e-50)
>>> (e30-e50) == e30
True
>>> (e30-e47) == e30
False

This shows that float128 has no more then 19 digits precision

  Nadav.