On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Robert Kern <robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 16:51, Geoffrey Irving <irv...@naml.us> wrote:

>>> This is not possible to guarantee. With the __array_interface__, I can
>>> make a numpy array point at any addressable memory without its
>>> knowledge. We can even mutate "immutable" str objects, too.
>>
>> In python __array_interface__ just returns a big integer representing
>> a pointer which can't be used for anything.
>
> I can (and do) *make* an array from Python given an
> __array_interface__ with that pointer. See numpy/lib/stride_trick.py
> in numpy 1.2 for an example.

Ah.  Yes, that certainly precludes complete safety.

I don't think it precludes the usefulness of an immutable flag though,
just like it doesn't preclude the usefulness of the writeable flag.
The stride_tricks.py code is already well-behaved: it doesn't turn
unwriteable arrays into writeable arrays.  It certainly could, but
this is analogous to ctypes or untrusted C code.

Geoffrey