Many thanks for your willingness to help out with this.  Not to
belabor the point, but I notice that the rules you lay out below don't
quite explain why the following syntax works as I originally expected:

r[0].field1 = 1

I'm guessing this is because r[0].field1 is already an existing scalar
object, with an address in memory, so it can be changed in place,
whereas this syntax would need to create an entirely new array object
(not even a copy, exactly):

r[where(r.field1 == 0)].field1

No need to respond if this understanding is correct. I just wanted to
write it down in case someone else is searching the archive with this
question in the future.

BFG