Hi Emanuelle,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Emmanuelle
Gouillart<emmanuelle.gouill...@normalesup.org> wrote:
> Dear users of Numpy and Scipy,
>
> here is an informal report on the last event of the Python African Tour,
> which took place in Dakar (Senegal) on July 6-10th. It might interest

Many thanks for this great post, I am very happy to see this kind of
effort sprouting organically in different places.  I had the chance to
do something similar with Stefan, his advisor and colleagues a few
years ago in Stellenbosch, South Africa, and it was a phenomenal
experience.  The audience was extremely engaged and the facilities
first-rate, and I enjoyed it enormously.

I'm glad to hear that you've set up a mailing list for your students
to continue growing, but I'd also encourage them to subscribe to the
'normal' numpy/scipy lists.  Even if they initially feel a bit shy
about posting, simply 'lurking' on the lists for a while and reading
the flow of information can be very useful both to learn technical
ideas and to get familiar with the discussion patterns of a community.
 This will ease them into naturally engaging the upstream projects
when they feel comfortable, which I think in the long term is both
useful and necessary.

> Speaking about difficulties, one may say that there was some disparity in
> the level of experience inside the group, some being very well at ease
> with array programming while others were obviously discovering
> programming. It was therefore difficult to meet everybody's needs, but
> well, I hope everybody learned something!

Audience heterogeneity: that's always the hardest part in these
things, and we face it everywhere.  It's the main source of concern
even at the main Scipy conference intro tutorial, since the audience
tends to be all over the place in terms of background and experience.

Mmh, I just had a thought.  A number of us have by now taught
reasonably organized workshops of this kind in different places and
institutions. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a page on
the scipy site collecting this information, with a short paragraph
about the event and a link to any additional external materials that
may exist.  This could encourage others to create similar things in
their own communities, whether with the help of one of the previous
presenters or fully independently.  Does that sound useful?

In any case, thanks again for the great post!

Best,