On 2009-08-27 16:09 , Jonathan T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to define a 3-D array as the sum of two 2-D arrays as follows:
>
>     C[x,y,z] := A[x,y] + B[x,z]
>
> My linear algebra is a bit rusty; is there a good way to do this that does not
> require me to loop over x,y,z? Thanks!

Numpy's broadcasting is ideal for this.  Using None as an index in a
slice adds a new axis with length 1 to an array.  Then, the operation of
addition broadcasts the arrays by repeating them across the singleton
dimensions.  So the above operation is

C[x,y,z] = A[x,y,z] + B[x,y,z]

where A is constant across its third dimension and B is constant across
its second dimenision.  For a concrete example:

In [3]: A = np.arange(10).reshape((5,2))

In [4]: B = np.arange(15).reshape((5,3))

In [5]: C = A[:,:,None] + B[:,None,:]

In [6]: C
Out[6]:
array([[[ 0,  1,  2],