On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.face...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/10 Christopher Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a bunch of points in 2-d space, and I need to find out which
>> pairs of points are within a certain distance of one-another (regular
>> old Euclidean norm).
>
> This is an eminently reasonable thing to want, and KDTree should
> support it. Unfortunately it doesn't.
>
>> scipy.spatial.KDTree.query_ball_tree() seems like it's built for this.
>>
>> However, I'm a bit confused. The first argument is a kdtree, but I'm
>> calling it as a method of a kdtree -- I want to know which points in the
>> tree I already have are closer that some r from each-other.
>>
>> If I call it as:
>>
>> tree.query_ball_tree(tree, r)
>>
>> I get a big list, that has all the points in it (some of them paired up
>> with close neighbors.) It appears I'm getting the distances between all
>> the points in the tree and itself, as though they were different trees.
>>
>> This is slow, takes a bunch of memory, and I then have to parse out the
>> list to find the ones that are paired up.
>>
>> Is there a way to get just the close ones from the single tree?

I used sparse_distance_matrix for the distance of a kdtree to itself
in the past.

Since it's a matrix it should be possible to just get the lower or
upper triangle, and it's sparse so memory is not so much of a problem.
But I remember it was also slow and only worth using if the matrix is
large.

Josef