On 11/15/2009 01:16 AM, David Warde-Farley wrote:
> On 14-Nov-09, at 10:57 AM, Bruce Southey wrote:
>

>> Is it just that bincount does not count negative numbers?
>> If so, then I would strongly argue that is insufficient for creating
>> new function. Rather you need to provide a suitable patch to fix
>> bincount or replace bincount with a better version.
>>
> The whole point of bincount is that in the result array, the indices
> correspond to _values_ in the original array, i.e. bc = bincount(arr)
> then bc[3] gives me the number of 3's that appear in arr. This is lost
> if bincount starts reporting negatives. I suppose you could return a
> tuple of two arrays, optionally, but I don't know how much use it
> would get.

Isn't this indexing invalid if you have a negative value in the original
array in the first place?
While I have not tried Priit's code (as it is in C), the provided output
with negative values does not appear to maintain this property. Really
without changing the output type, I do not see how you can keep this
indexing property with negative values. So really the comparison has to
be with histogram().
> If you really need to do bincount on an array with negative ints, you
> can just add -arr.min() to the array first and subtract the same value
> when done. Assuming you don't have a huge array this will be very
> fast, and can even be done in place.
>
> David

Josef provided the histogram solution using np.arange for the bins that
appears to be handle negative values except that the indexing is refers
to position not the value. That is the index is value minus the minimum
of (zero, min(array)) - which is the indexing as required by Priit's code.

Bruce