On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:33, Sebastian Haase <seb.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:40 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Jean-Baptiste Rudant
>> <boogalo...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I think there's something strange with shape when a slice is given by an
>>> array.
>>> import numpy as N
>>> my_array = N.ones((2, 3, 6))
>>> ind = N.arange(4)
>>> #you hope to find (3, 4)
>>> print my_array[0, :, ind].shape
>>> print my_array[0, :, 0:4].shape
>>> print my_array[0][:, ind].shape
>>> print my_array[0][:, 0:4].shape
>>> """
>>> (4, 3)
>>> (3, 4)
>>> (3, 4)
>>> (3, 4)
>>> """
>>> Jean-Baptiste Rudant
>>
>> there was a long thread on this with the explanation in March, title
>> "is it a bug?"
>>
> The thread is here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg16300.html
>
> It looks to me like violating the principle of "least surprise".

That "principle" is notoriously unreliable, and I am never convinced by it.

> My reading of that thread is, that the observed "bug" is mostly a
> consequence coming from the way fancy indexing is implemented. How
> about deprecating this kind of index mixing !?

No. When you need it, you need it.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."