On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM, THOMAS BROWNE <totalb...@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Quite new to numpy / timeseries module, please forgive the elementary
> question.
>
> I wish to do quite to do a bunch of multivariate analysis on 1000 different
> financial markets series, each holding about 1800 data points (5 years of
> daily data).
>
> What's the best way to put this into a TimeSeries object? Should I use a
> structured data type (in which case I can reference each series by name), or
> should I put it into one big numpy array object (in which case I guess I'll
> have to keep track of the series name in an internal structure)? What are the
> advantages and disadvantages of each?
>
> Ideally I'd have liked the ease and simplicity of being able to reference
> each series by name, while maintaining the fast speed and clean structure of
> one big numpy array. Any way of getting both?
>
> Once I have a multivariate TimeSeries, how do I add another series to it?

I'm not sure if your TimeSeries object refers to the scikits or
writing your own application.

In the later case, I would recommend looking at the following for data
handling, the first two are written or co-written with finance
applications in mind, the last is a nice package for working with
structured arrays, but I'm don't know about how extensive time
handling  is.

http://code.google.com/p/pandas/   general (2d) panel data, arbitrary
axis labels possible, integrates scikits.statsmodels

http://scikits.appspot.com/timeseries   based on masked arrays,
extensive time handling

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabular

If you need to do more serious data work and don't have a special
requirement on the data structure, I think, it would be better to use
( and contribute for adjustments/extensions/testing) to one of the
existing data structures than writing your own. All 3 are BSD or MIT
licensed.

Josef