Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM, David Cournapeau
> <da...@silveregg.co.jp <mailto:da...@silveregg.co.jp>> wrote:
>
>     Charles R Harris wrote:
>
>      >
>      >
>      > What is the setup one needs to build the installers? It might be
>     well to
>      > document that, the dependencies, and the process.
>
>     Right. The top script is:
>     http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/release.sh
>
>     the bulk of the work is in :
>     http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/pavement.py
>
>     which describes what is needed to build installers. On mac os x, the
>     release script may be used as is to build every installer + the release
>     notes.
>

> Umm, I think it needs some more explanation. There are virtual
> environments, c compilers, wine, paver, etc. All/ of these might require
> some installation, version numbers, and setup. This might all seem clear
> to you, but a newbie coming on to build the packages probably needs more
> instruction.

I think it is a waste of time to document all this very precisely,
because it is continuously changing. Documenting everything would boil
down to rewrite the paver script in English (and most likely would be
much more verbose).

That's exactly why I was suggesting to have some volunteers to do 1.4.1
to do the release together, as a way to "pass the knowledge around".

cheers,

David