Christopher Barker wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> I'm still pretty strongly against it.
>
> Me too. I was close to posing a note today saying it was fine, but then
> I sat down with a developer I'm working with, and he happened to mention
> that he had rebuilt something or other to accommodate the numpy ABI
> change -- so that cat's out of the bag now anyway.
>
> Maybe it should have been called 1.5, but what's the difference, really?

Version numbers is not the issue, obviously. Calling something 1.5
instead of 1.4 does not make any difference. What matters is the
frequency of the breakage: do we break every 6 months, every year, etc...

At the risk of stating the obvious: every time we break the ABI, we
break every binary depending on the NumPy. Concretely, this means that
currently, if you install NumPy 1.4.0, you cannot install either scipy,
matplotlib, etc...

If we do this at every release of NumPy, we force people to update their
code every time they update NumPy. I think this policy is unsustainable
because NumPy  is used as a basic library by so many other projects.
What would you think if you had to recompile every single binary out
there every time the libc version is updated ?

cheers,

David