On 06/01/2010 06:03 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:

> Personally, I don't see problems in leaving them out.
>
>> (in maintenance/***)
>
> Why not release/** or releases/**?

Right, release is a better word.

> Does having a prefix here imply something to clones?

Not that I am aware of: it is just that / is allowed in branches, so
that gives some nesting, and I think we should have naming conventions
for branches.

>>   - Tag conversion: svn has no notion of tags, so translating them into
>>   git tags cannot be done automatically in a safely manner (and we do
>> have some rewritten tags in the svn repo). I was thinking about creating
>> a small script to create them manually afterwards for the releases, in
>> the svntags/***.
>
> Sounds OK.
>
>>   - Author conversion: according to git, there are around 50 committers
>> in numpy. Several of them are double and should be be merged I think
>> (kern vs rkern, Travis' accounts as well), but there is also the option
>> to set up real emails. Since email are "private", I don't want to just
>> "scrape" them without asking permission first. I don't know how we
>> should proceed here.
>
> I don't think correcting the email addresses in the SVN history is very
> useful. Best probably just use some dummy form, maybe

That's what svn2git already does, so that would be less work for me :)
It may not matter much, but I think there is at least one argument for
having real emails: to avoid having duplicate committers (i.e. pvirtanen
is the same committer before and after the git transition). But this is
only significant for current committers.

David