> But the utility of named indices is not so clear
> to me. As I understand it, these new arrays will still only be
> able to have a single type of data (one of float, str, int and so
> on). This seems to be pretty limiting.

This just shows that people use NumPy for lots of different things. I
myself have never understood what record arrays are for -- what's the
advantage of using NumPy if your data isn't made of numbers?

If you've ever used a dictionary instead of a list, then you have seen
the utility of named indices. I've got an example of labeled data in a
matrix, starting at slide 10 of
http://csc.media.mit.edu/docs/_static/divisi_slides.pdf.
-- Rob