On 2010-07-15, at 12:38 PM, Emmanuel Bengio <beng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a list of 4x4 transformation matrices, that I want to "dot with"
> another list of the same size (elementwise).
> Making a for loop that calculates the dot product of each is extremely slow,
> I thought that maybe it's due to the fact that I have thousands of matrices
> and it's a python for loop and there's a high Python overhead.
>
> I do something like this:
> >> for a,b in izip(Rot,Trans):
> >>     c.append(numpy.dot(a,b))

If you need/want more speed than the solution Chuck proposed, you should check
out Cython and Tokyo. Cython lets you write loops that execute at C speed,
whereas Tokyo provides a Cython level wrapper for BLAS (no need to go through
Python code to call NumPy). Tokyo was designed for exactly your use case: lots
of matrix multiplies with relatively small matrices, where you start noticing
the Python overhead.

David