Richard D. Moores <rdmoores <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > The commands should therefore be:
> > cd c:\SVNRepository\numpy
> > C:\Python31>python setup.py bdist_wininst
>
> Dave, I got:
> c:\SVNRepository\numpy>C:\Python31>python setup.py bdist_wininst
> 'C:\Python31' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Or didn't I do exactly what you suggested?
>
> > Assuming you have a C compiler on your system (and in your path)
>
> I'm afraid I have no idea, nor how to find out.

My bad - typo. The command to build numpy should have been:

C:\Python31\python setup.py bdist_wininst

i.e. the full path and filename of the program you want to run (Python3). Paths
are seperated by backslash characters, not greater than signs!

As Matthieu says, if you don't know if you have a C-compiler then you probably
don't have one.

I've got gcc installed so if I enter gcc at the command line it'll give me an
error saying that I didn't specify the input files:

M:\Code\sandbox>gcc
gcc: no input files

M:\Code\sandbox>

if you don't have it installed (and on your path) you'll get the "not recognized
as an internal or external command" error.

-Dave