On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 14:44, Michael Gilbert
<michael.s.gilb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Michael Gilbert
>> <michael.s.gilb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Primarily avoiding catastrophic cancellation when subtracting
>>> large values.  I was planning to use the decimal class, but was
>>> curious whether support for the IEEE standard was coming any time soon.
>>>

>> If you just need more precision, mpmath has better performance than the
>> Decimal class. Also, it might be possible to avoid the loss of precision by
>> changing the computation, but I don't know the details of what you are
>> doing.
>
> Just wanted to say that numpy object arrays + decimal solved all of my
> problems, which were all caused by the disconnect between decimal and
> binary representation of floating point numbers.

Are you sure? Unless if I'm failing to think through this properly,
catastrophic cancellation for large numbers is an intrinsic property
of fixed-precision floating point regardless of the base. decimal and
mpmath both help with that problem because they have arbitrary
precision.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."