On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Marc Shivers <marc.shiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding business days, for financial data, trading days are
> determined by each exchange, so, in particular, there is no such thing
> as a US Trading Calendar, only a NYSE Calendar, NYMEX Calendar, etc,
> etc... .  I think it would be useful to have functionality where you
> could start with a weekday calendar with specified normal trading
> hours and easily remove a list of non-trading days that the user
> specifies as well as modify the days where the trading hours are
> shorter (e.g. the day after thanksgiving).

What kind of functions/data would be needed for days with shorter trading
hours? The design I've sketched out supports everything you're describing
except things related to trading hours.

> I think anything more specific should probably be relegated to a
> specific package for financial calendars, as this entire topic gets
> very messy very fast.

I definitely agree, NumPy would have no knowledge of specifics, just a
mechanism to tell it when holidays are, etc, and do reasonable calculations
on them.

-Mark