On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Olivier Delalleau <sh...@keba.be> wrote:
> 2011/8/31 Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjord...@uw.edu>
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Olivier Delalleau <sh...@keba.be> wrote:
>> > You can use:
>> > 1 + numpy.argmax(numpy.random.multinomial(1, [0.1, 0.2, 0.7]))
>> >
>> > For your "real" application you'll probably want to use a value >1 for
>> > the
>> > first parameter (equal to your sample size), instead of calling it
>> > multiple
>> > times.
>> >
>> > -=- Olivier
>>
>> Thanks. Warren (Weckesser) mentioned this possibility to me yesterday
>> and I forgot to put it in my post. I assume you mean something like
>>
>> x = np.arange(3)
>> y = np.random.multinomial(30, [0.1,0.2,0.7])
>> z = np.repeat(x, y)
>> np.random.shuffle(z)
>>
>> That look right?
>>
>> -Chris JS
>>

> Yes, exactly.

Chuck's answer to the same question, when I asked on the list, used
searchsorted and is fast

cdfvalues.searchsorted(np.random.random(size))

my recent version of it for FiniteLatticeDistribution

    def rvs(self, size=1):
        '''draw random variables with shape given by size

        '''
        #w = self.pdfvalues
        #p = cumsum(w)/float(w.sum())
        #p.searchsorted(np.random.random(size))
        return self.support[self.cdfvalues.searchsorted(np.random.random(size))]

Josef