(Sorry for the spam, I should have given more thought to this before
hitting reply).

It actually seems to me that using a linear interpolation is not a good
idea, since it will throw out a lot of information if you decrease the
number of bins: to compute the value at time t, it will only use the
closest bins (t_k and t_{k+1} such that t_k < t < t_{k+1}), so that data
stored in many of the bins will not be used at all.
I haven't looked closely at the suggestion from Robert but it may be a
better way to achieve what you want.

-=- Olivier

2011/11/13 Olivier Delalleau <sh...@keba.be>

> Also: it seems like you are using values at the boundaries of the bins,
> while I think it would make more sense to compute interpolated values at
> the middle point of a bin. I'm not sure it'll make a big difference
> visually, but it may be more appropriate.
>
> -=- Olivier
>

> 2011/11/13 Olivier Delalleau <sh...@keba.be>
>
>> Just one thing: numpy.interp says it doesn't check that the x coordinates
>> are increasing, so make sure it's the case.
>>
>> Assuming this is ok, I could still see how you may get some non-smooth
>> behavior: this may be because your spike can either be split between two
>> bins (which "dilutes" it somehow), or be included in a single bin (which
>> would make it stand out more). And as you increase your bin size, you will
>> switch between these two situations.
>>
>> -=- Olivier
>>

>> 2011/11/13 Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsdu...@gmx.de>
>>
>>> Hi group,
>>>
>>> I have a rather simple problem, or so it would seem. However I cannot
>>> seem to find the right solution. Here's the problem:
>>>
>>> A Geiger counter measures counts in distinct time intervals. The time
>>> intervals are not of constant length. Imaging for example that the
>>> counter would always create a table entry when the counts reach 10. Then
>>> we would have the following bins (made-up data for illustration):
>>>
>>> Seconds         Counts  Len     CPS
>>> 0 - 44          10      44      0.23
>>> 44 - 120        10      76      0.13
>>> 120 - 140       10      20      0.5
>>> 140 - 200       10      60      0.16
>>>
>>> So we have n bins (in this example 4), but they're not equidistant. I
>>> want to rebin samples to make them equidistant. For example, I would
>>> like to rebin into 5 bins of 40 seconds time each. Then the rebinned
>>> example (I calculate by hand so this might contain errors):
>>>
>>> 0-40            9.09
>>> 40-80           5.65
>>> 80-120          5.26
>>> 120-160         13.33