Hi

The plain gcc (non-llvm) is no longer there, if you install Lion and directly
Xcode 4.3.
Only, if you have the old Xcode 4.2 or lower, then you may have a non-llvm gcc.

For Xcode 4.3, I recommend installing the "Command Line Tools for Xcode" from
the preferences of Xcode. Then you'll have the unix tools and compilers for
building software.

The solution is to compile numpy and scipy with clang. I had no problems so far
but I think few people actually compiled it with clang.

The issue #1500 (scipy) may help here.
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1500

On 25.02.2012, at 14:14, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Since you're using pip, I assume that gcc-4.2 is llvm-gcc. As a first step, I
> suggest using plain gcc and not using pip (so just "python setup.py
> install"). Also make sure you follow the recommendations in "version specific
> notes" at http://scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X.

This website should be updated.

cheers,
 Samuel