On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Abhishek Pratap wrote:

> Super awesome. I love how the python community in general keeps the
> recordings available for free.
>
> @Adam : I do have some problems that I can hit numpy with, mainly
> bigData based. So in summary I have millions/billions of rows of
> biological data on which I want to run some computation but at the
> same time have a capability to do quick lookup. I am not sure if numpy
> will be applicable for quick lookups  by a string based key right ??

PyTables does precisely that.  Allows to do out-of-core operations with large
arrays, store tables with an unlimited number of rows on-disk and, by using its
integrated indexing engine (OPSI), you can perform quick lookups based on
strings (or whatever other type).  Look into these examples:

http://www.pytables.org/moin/HowToUse#Selectingvalues

HTH,

-- Francesc Alted