Hi,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io> wrote:

>>> Linux: Technically, everything you say is true. In practice, good luck
>>> convincing Linus or a subsystem maintainer to accept your patch when
>>> other people are raising substantive complaints. Here's an email I
>>> googled up in a few moments, in which Linus yells at people for trying
>>> to submit a patch to him without making sure that all interested
>>> parties have agreed:
>>>  https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/14/481
>>> Stuff regularly sits outside the kernel tree in limbo for *years*
>>> while people debate different approaches back and forth.
>>
>> To which I'd add:
>>
>> "In fact, for [Linus'] decisions to be received as legitimate, they
>> have to be consistent with the consensus of the opinions of
>> participating developers as manifest on Linux mailing lists. It is not
>> unusual for him to back down from a decision under the pressure of
>> criticism from other developers. His position is based on the
>> recognition of his fitness by the community of Linux developers and
>> this type of authority is, therefore, constantly subject to
>> withdrawal. His role is not that of a boss or a manager in the usual
>> sense. In the final analysis, the direction of the project springs
>> from the cumulative synthesis of modifications contributed by
>> individual developers."
>> http://shareable.net/blog/governance-of-open-source-george-dafermos-interview
>>

> This is the model that I have for NumPy development.   It is my view of how
> NumPy has evolved already and how Numarray, and Numeric evolved before it as
> well.    I also feel like these things are fundamentally determined by the
> people involved and by the personalities and styles of those who participate.
>    There certainly are globally applicable principles (like code review,
> building consensus, and mutual respect) that are worth emphasizing over and
> over again.   If it helps let's write those down and say "these are the
> principles we live by".   I am suspicious that you can go beyond this in
> formalizing the process as you ultimately are at the mercy of the people
> involved and their judgment, anyway.

I think writing it down would help enormously.  For example, if you do
agree to Nathaniel's view of consensus - *in principle* - and we write
that down and agree, we have a document to appeal to when we next run
into trouble.    Maybe the document could say something like:

"""
We strive for consensus [some refs here].

Any substantial new feature is subject to consensus.

Only if all avenues for consensus have been documented, and exhausted,
will we [vote, defer to Travis, or some other tie-breaking thing].
"""

Best,

Matthew