On 5 June 2012 22:36, Dag Sverre Seljebotn <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 10:47 PM, mark florisson wrote:
>> On 5 June 2012 20:17, Nathaniel Smith<n...@pobox.com>  wrote:

>>> All of these proposals require the user to jump through hoops -- the
>>> deferred-ufunc NEP has the extra 'with deferredstate' thing, and more
>>> importantly, a set of rules that people have to learn and keep in mind
>>> for which numpy operations are affected, which ones aren't, which
>>> operations can't be performed while deferredstate is True, etc. So
>>> this has two problems: (1) these rules are opaque, (2) it's far from
>>> clear what the rules should be.
>>
>> Right, I guess I should have commented on that. I don't think the
>> deferredstate stuff is needed at all, execution can always be deferred
>> as long as it does not affect semantics. So if something is marked
>> readonly because it is used in an expression and then written to, you
>> evaluate the expression and then perform the write. The only way to
>> break stuff, I think, would be to use pointers through the buffer
>> interface or PyArray_DATA and not respect the sudden readonly
>> property. A deferred expression is only evaluated once in any valid
>> GIL-holding context (so it shouldn't break threads either).
>
> I think Nathaniel's point is that the point where you get a 10-second
> pause to wait for computation is part of the semantics of current NumPy:
>
> print 'Starting computation'
> z = (x + y).sum()
> print 'Computation done'
> print 'Result was', z
>
> I think that if this wasn't the case, newbies would be be tripped up a
> lot and things would feel a lot less intuitive. Certainly when working
> from the IPython command line.
>
> Also, to remain sane in IPython (or when using a debugger, etc.), I'd want
>
> "print z"
>
> to print something like "unevaluated array", not to trigger a
> computation. Same with str(z) and so on.

I guess you could detect that at runtime, or just make it
configurable. As for triggering computation somewhere else, I guess I
find it preferable to horrible performance :)

> I don't think a context manager modifying thread-local global state like
>
> with np.lazy:
>
> would be horribly intrusive.
>
> But I also think it'd be good to start with being very explicit (x =
> np.lazy_multiply(a, b); compute(x)) -- such an API should be available
> anyway -- and then have the discussion once that works.

Maybe that's the best way forward. I guess I'd prefer an import
numpy.lazy_numpy as numpy in that case. I don't really like the with
statement here, since ideally you'd just experiment with swapping in
another module and see if your code still runs fine.